Our classic folding knife is a design icon. Simple and beautiful, sharp and durable, the No. 8 is an international bestseller. Tuck it into your pocket for a picnic. Keep it in your desk for workday lunches. Carve into charcuterie, cheese, or a crisp apple, or whittle a stick for campfire s’mores. With an easy-to-maintain stainless steel blade, this knife is ready for wherever your adventures might take you.
Opinel knives are designed to stand the test of time; some carry Opinel knives handed down from parents and grandparents. Follow a few simple instructions to ensure your knife lasts for years to come.
Hand-wash after each use
Wipe the blade dry
Store in a dry place and keep out of damp conditions
Expect the wooden handle to swell or contract slightly with use; wood is a living material that can be affected by humidity and atmospheric conditions. If your blade feels stuck, use the “Opinel knock” – rapping the end of the knife on a hard surface – to loosen the blade slightly
Grease the metal parts, including the Virobloc locking mechanism, on a regular basis
Use a whetstone or other fine-grain natural stone to sharpen your blade. Make sure the blade is dry and clean, and hold the sharpening stone at an approximately 20-degree angle from the blade while sharpening
You should NOT…
Put your knife in the dishwasher
Use bleach or chlorine to clean your knife
Leave your knife in wet or damp conditions for extended periods of time
Blade length: 8.5 cm/3.35 inches
Materials: Stainless steel blade, oak handle
Versatile in its use, classic in its design and construction, the Opinel No. 8 has been carried – and appreciated – by generations. A classic pocket knife designed to stand the test of time.
- Simple, sturdy, efficient and easy to use, this essential tool remains unchanged since 1890 but is unmatched in its design. Raw material and colors may vary from one collection to another, but its style remains deeply steeped in history and tradition. This timeless knife is for people who enjoy the outdoors, and is a must-have tool for professional or amateur handymen. It is used everywhere from the garden to the table, a knife that is given as a gift and passed down to loved ones.
- Opinel’s stainless steel blades are made of Sandvik 12C27 modified stainless steel. It is anti-corrosive thanks to the addition of chromium and requires no special maintenance. Its carbon content of at least 0.40% provides an excellent cutting edge. Each blade is stamped with the “Crowned Hand” mark. In 1909, Joseph Opinel chose the Crowned Hand emblem for his knives as a symbol to represent the origin and quality of Opinel knives.
- Thanks to its high tannin content, the oak wood handle is extremely resistant to insects and fungi. It has a yellow-brown appearance, with regular veining. To prevent a negative impact on the environment (pollution from transport, deforestation …), 95% of the wood for handles comes from sustainably managed French forests.
- Invented by Marcel Opinel in 1955, the Virobloc safety ring is fitted to all folding knives as of the No 06. Cut out of stainless steel, the Virobloc has two sections, one fixed and one sliding. In addition to locking the blade open (safety in use), it is now possible to lock the blade closed (safety in transport)
- Opinel products are guaranteed under normal use and exchanged in case of manufacturing defects. Damage due to normal wear and tear or improper use are not covered by the warranty.